Friday, June 6, 2014

Books vs eBooks

     I guess I'm not a steriotypical twenty-first century teenager in that I don't like the whole move to technology. Although I know how to use the current tech and I have plenty of items that I use on a regular basis, I don't entirely enjoy it and the way it runs some people's lives. My feelings on the technology movement also apply to the discussion of books vs ebooks. Unlike many people, I prefer tangible, paper books over ebooks. Why? Well, for various reasons. 
     First is that I enjoy having a book in-hand when I am reading. It gives me more satisfaction so see my progress physically by the pages I've turned rather than a digital number. I also like the way books look. I don't read often, but the books I read and enjoy I like to keep in a small shelf on my bookshelf. I like being able to see all the spines of the books lined up right in front of me.
     Another reason for me is that I don't read often.  I can understand those people who read a book or two a week wanting to have all their books consolodated in one place (ebook reader).  I, on the other hand, do not read often.  If I'm lucky I'll read a couple of books I want to read every year.  So for me, the cost of those few books and the space they take up is not really significant.  I am a proponent for those people who read very frequently to get an eReader and download their books there (if they want to buy them). 
     Another reason for me (and this is very specific for me) is that I enjoy the act of buying a book at the bookstore.  Theres something about going there and searching through all the thousands of books just to find the one book that I want.  I guess since I don't do it much it is still a fun thing to do for me.  I also enjoy the feeling of a new book.  The perfect lines of the pages and the uncreased spine are something that I really enjoy.  Weird, right?  I am a collector at heart (I'll collect pretty much anything) so I like having a little collection of books.  I especially like reading and having all the books in a series.
     For me, having paper books is just as practical (and more enjoyable) than using an eReader.  I'm not saying others should follow in my path.  I think you should do whats most practical for you and what you enjoy most.

1 comment:

  1. I agree-- I am not totally converted to e-books. They have their uses but if a book is notable, I want the hard copy in my hands so that I can leaf through the pages and refer to previous passages.

    ReplyDelete